The holiday season brings us many new dangers in our homes, especially for our pets and young children.
Not the least of these is the festive plants we bring in for decoration. You will need to pre-plan where you might set your holiday plants. These plants are poisonous, and can cause stomach problems, skin irritation, vomiting, dehydration and respiratory problems.
The following are some of the problem plants for your pets and people if ingested.
Poinsettia – These come in a variety of attractive colors from deep Christmas red to pink and mottled colors.
This plant is more of an irritant then a poison. It is the sap, rather than the leaves, that causes the irritation. The Poinsettia may cause skin and mouth irritation or vomiting.
Mistletoe – Mistletoe is a tradition that has been around for many years, be sure to keep it out of reach of children and pets.
It is the berries of the Mistletoe that are the problem here, if you can remove them before hanging your mistletoe you will have less chance of an incident. The symptoms of mistletoe poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart and respiratory rate.
Holly – Again it is the berries of the holly that can be poisonous if a large amount is eaten. This can cause vomiting upset stomach and diarrhea.
Have a safe and happy holiday season, from Global K9 Group.
By: Wendy Aston, Training Supervisor, Global K9 Group, LLC